It is important to include chemical-free and organic products in our daily skin care regimen. This is because the chemicals in synthetic products can have adverse effects on the skin.
Kojic acid, an organic product, is very effective in lightening the skin tone. Dermatologists recommend it to people with melasma and freckles. There is an increasing demand for products with kojic acid, as it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. These days, many facial creams, gels, soaps, facial peels, and serums have kojic acid as their ingredient. Kojic acid soap is one such product, and it has gained a lot of popularity.
Here, we shall shed light on the uses, benefits, and side effects of the kojic acid soap, and also tell you how to use it.
How to Use the Kojic Acid Soap
- Firstly, lather a small amount of the soap and apply it on an area of the skin which is the least sensitive. Leave it on for 2 to 3 minutes. If your skin shows any signs of irritation or itching, it is best to avoid using the soap.
- If the skin shows no signs of irritation, you can go ahead with using the soap. To use it, damp your face and hands with water before applying the soap.
- Leave the soap lather for a couple of minutes. If your skin is sensitive, do not leave the soap on for more than 2-3 minutes. On a moderately sensitive skin, the lather can be left for 3-4 minutes.
- While applying the soap on your body, let the soap lather soak in for 4-5 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water. For an oily skin, use cold water.
- People with a dark skin tone can leave the soap lather for longer (about 6 minutes or so), depending on the skin’s sensitivity.
- Once you apply the soap on your body and face, lather and massage the skin in a circular motion.
- Repeat the procedure for a couple of times in a day and apply a moisturizer once you finish. For an oily skin, moisturizers with an aqua base should be used.
- Kojic acid soap reduces skin problems like melasma, freckles, and hyperpigmentation.
- It helps reduce melanin production, thus helping in lightening the skin.
- The kojic acid soap also helps with skin problems such as psoriasis, pimples, acne scars, and dark spots.
- It reduces the spots and marks on the skin, and its effects can be seen in about 2-4 weeks.
- Researchers have said that kojic acid soap reduces melanin to such an extent that wearing a high-SPF sunscreen lotion becomes mandatory. A small amount of melanin is important as it protects the skin from sun damage.
- Prolonged or excessive use of kojic acid soap, can lead to increased skin sensitivity or skin irritation.
- Recently, the Papaya Kojic Acid soap has gained popularity, owing to its ability to whiten the skin.
- It is a combination of kojic acid and papain (also known as papaya proteinase).
- Kojic acid helps lighten the skin, while papain works to exfoliate and soften it.
- With additional peeling agents added to them, kojic acid soaps also work as keratolytic and comedolytic agents.
- Kojic acid soap is a skin-whitening agent but its results are not permanent. Once you start getting the desired results, do not stop using the soap. You may reduce the frequency of using it, but do not discontinue its use.
- The results of the soap vary across individuals. So the time required for the soap to show its effects, is not certain.
- When using kojic acid soap, avoid heavy exposure to sunlight. It may worsen your skin problems.
A kojic acid soap helps the skin to get rid of dead cells and dirt. It boosts cell turnover. It also acts as a whitening agent, thus leading to lightening of the skin tone. It may show side effects on a sensitive skin. Exposure to sunlight should be less during the period of its use. The kojic acid soap seems to be a product worth trying if you are looking for an organic way to improve your skin tone and texture. Use it if it suits your skin type.